Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Just Say No to College

College has never cost more. At the same time, the quality of education, especially in the liberal arts, has never been lower. But you have to have a college degree to get a good job, right? That depends on what you consider good. I spend most of my day blogging and reading the blogs of others because what I am paid to do is so mind-numbingly boring and most of the people I work for so mind-bogglingly stupid, that if I didn't do something else, my head would simply explode. Fifty years ago, a college education was a sizable advantage to the size of your paycheck. Twenty-five years ago, I was told that a college degree would soon be required for any entry-level job. A lot of other kids must have been told the same thing because college enrollment exploded. Without looking up the answer, what does standard economic theory say about the price of a good when its supply increases? What happens to the price of a good when demand for it decreases? What happens when both happen at the same time? Think about that, then go read this.

2 Comments:

At 11:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think with your help I could become more educated then I wouldn't have to go. We both know I wont be able to make it far in there ideas of teaching. So I could get the freshmen books from the Internet and do independent study and when stuck you could help me if you wanted. I could learn at my own pace and get to stay with you. We could go to AZ if you wanted or St. kits or even stay here if you wanted. My soul longs to feel right and to fit some place and that is with yours. I love you "BIG BOY". Lol

 
At 8:52 AM, Blogger Justa Drifter said...

Almost anything would be better than what currently passes for a college education. Also keep in mind that I don't have a problem with courses in basic skills that are commonly taught at local community colleges. If you are looking to master the basics of construction, welding, CAD, photography, etc., a community college is the way to go. It is possible to do the same thing on your own, but there is something to be said for the discipline imposed by knowing you have to face a teacher. Also, self-study robs you of the cross-fertilization that happens in a classroom.

But skills training isn't what your typical university is all about. Those institutions are supposed to develop critical thinking, symbol manipulation, and abstract reasoning. Only about 20% of the population is capable of learning those things, which is why in times past, only about 20% of the population went to university. But now we have the newly-discovered "right to a college education" shoving kids who provably cannot develop abstract thought into our universities. The universities have responded by producing non-education tracts (like Black Studies and Womens or Womyns Studies) or by destroying previous legitimate departments in the arts and social sciences in order to issue worhtless scraps of paper to people who don't deserve them, in exchange for starting life $80,000 in debt.

Just Say No.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home