Friday, March 10, 2006

Wasting Four Years of Your Life

It's called "college." Four years and tens of thousands of dollars to be "taught" by minds that couldn't make it in the real world in any job more challenging than stocking shelves. That isn't universally true, of course. The hard sciences are still worthy of the money, time and effort. But the humanities are a wasteland. The problem is that even if you go to college for a real degree in, say, biology, you are forced to spend about 2/3 of your time in the humanities. I say don't bother. I'm 40 years old and have never completed any college degree, and it hasn't hurt me one bit. My household income was almost $100K for 2005, which hardly makes me Bill Gates, but it puts me in the upper quintile. I've taken a lot of college classes and I can say without hesitation that I have never used anything I have learned in a classroom at my job.

Just Say No.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home