Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Big-Ass Baby Step

I just sent the following e-mail to my PHB:
After 7+ years at Munson Medical Center, I've decided it is time to move on. With everything in the queue, I wanted to give you as much notice as possible. My last day will be Friday, September 22, 2006 (end of pay period 20).

This decision should in no way be taken as dissatisfaction with the people I have had the privilege to work with and for while at Munson. It is simply a reflection of the fact that I have been in the IT field for 22 years, and it has become obvious to me over the last year that it is time to do something completely different. So my wife and I have decided that we will be relocating to Arcosanti (http://www.arcosanti.org/) in Mayer, Arizona to live and work.

There was more administrative blah blah blah, but this is the important part. There is now a firm date and I have a shit-load of stuff to do between now and then. Probably more than I could ever hope to complete, but whatever isn't done will just stay undone, because we will be out of here.

And of course, I'm lying through my teeth when I say I'm not dissatisfied. People don't leave satisfying jobs. But the rest is true enough, so that should balance out my karma for today.

I think I have figured out how all this is going to work, so of course everything that can go wrong will and I will end up living in a cardboard box with my underwear outside my pants. But at least I will be living in a cardboard box somewhere warm instead of in god-forsaken northern Michigan where it is in the 60's on the first day of summer.

4 Comments:

At 1:23 PM, Blogger KipEsquire said...

Good for you! :-)

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger Justa Drifter said...

Thanks. It's scary, but I'm sure it will work out. If nothing else, it should be an interesting year.

 
At 6:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats! Hope you keep posting about the journey.

 
At 7:12 PM, Blogger Justa Drifter said...

Oh yea; the laptop and digital camera will be the first thing to be packed. I intent to document every step of the process, then inflict it on the rest of the world.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home