Friday, June 09, 2006

So What Comes Next?

This is related to this. Read both of them carefully.

I don't like the implications. I don't have an answer, either. I have no burning desire to live in Haiti where the economy exists for the benefit of 5% of the population and the rest live in poverty wondering where the next meal will come from. Or waiting for the knife in the back from someone looking to take your next meal as their own. America without a middle class is not America.

I was talking to a co-worker yesterday and we both have the same nagging feeling: we are in the end game of a historically unique set of political and economic circumstances. I've suspected as much since high school, but I had always expected a long slow decline. Now it feels more and more like stress building in a tectonic fault. Everything just goes along uneventfully from one day to the next. Maybe a little rumble or some shaking here and there, but nothing serious.

And then, SNAP!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home