Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Mourning Ma Bell

Jerry Pournelle takes Judge Green to task here and here. Based on my dealings with Verizon, the unregulated monopoly telephone service here in Northern Michigan, I can only agree. At least with Ma Bell, we had Bell Laboratories. If you don't know why that particular institution was important, I'll give you a hint: you wouldn't be reading this without it.

I was going to write something about the new airline "security" measures, but that second link leads to a much better analysis of the situation than I could ever come up with. For me, the radius of what I will drive vs. fly just expanded out to infinity. The only reason I would get on a plane now is logistics (the need to drive one way and fly back, or visa versa) or to get home to a dying relative. And even then, driving would be faster for any distance less than 1,000 miles or so. Maybe farther. I can drive a long ways in the eight to nine hours people are standing in "security" lines.

We don't really need a passenger airline industry, do we?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home