Monday, December 12, 2005

Religion is Stupid, Part III

If people want to screw up their own lives with their religious nonsense, I really don't care. Either they have the mental capacity to escape (It took me 40 years, which probably says a great deal about 1) my mental capacity or 2) how effective the brainwashing techniques used by churches can be. Personally, I'd go with option 2) but I'm sure many who know me would disagree.), or they languish in a prison of their own making. Most of them seem happy to have their lives carefully circumscribed by someone else, so I really don't have a problem with it. But when you decide to kill innocent children with your intentional ignorance, then lie about it to try to get your sorry ass off the hook for killing your own daughter, I start caring. Anyone who knows me knows that I am politically libertarian with a strong anarchistic bent. But if I am going to have 40% of my paycheck stolen from me, I would think somewhere in all those chair-polishers there would be someone paying enough attention to notice this. At the least, her fellow church-goers should have taken action. How fucking stupid do you have to be to stand by and watch a small child wither away and die?

Oh yea. About as stupid as someone willing to believe in a 6,000-year-old earth and the book of Revelation. My bad.

I wonder if it would be constitutional to sterilize all fundamentalists at conversion?

2 Comments:

At 3:45 PM, Blogger Tara C. Smith said...

Hiya,

Just a note--I don't know how religious Maggiore is. HIV denial makes strange bedfellows: on one hand, there's the people on the religious right (like Philip Johnson), and on the other, there's those on the educated left, who do just enough research to make themselves dangerous. I think Maggiore is in the latter group, kind of a hippie who missed the 60s by a few years: into everything herbal and natural, mind-body connection as a main source of disease, etc.

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Justa Drifter said...

True, but the first article I saw about this (since lost, naturally) stressed the religious objection angle. Hard to tell if that is a slant added by the reporter or actual fact. But you are correct; HIV denial seems to pull in all sorts. In any case, Maggiore is a strong influence in my ex-church (one step away from snake handlers). Her ideas seem to be a natural "fit" for fundamentalism. I'd make a bad joke about evolution in action, but this is just too damn tragic. Does this woman have no friends, relatives, casual aquantances with the guts to pimp-slap her back to reality? Or, failing that, call Child Protective Services?

And thanks for taking the time to wade through my venting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home