Thursday, January 19, 2006

Doing What You Like

Like most people, I hate my job. To be more precise, I enjoy the work I do, but I utterly despise the people I work for. The management of our IS department sinks to a new low every day. The problem is that removes any motivation I have of doing even work that I normally enjoy doing. In any case, Paul Graham explains how to do what you want to do. I agree with his basic thought: the "Christian" work ethic somehow conflates work with anything that sucks and pleasure with anything that is fun (and we all know what Christians feel about anyone trying to have fun). The logical extension is that nothing fun can ever be work. Paul argues that this is not the case. Good stuff. I wouldn't recommend reading it if you are having a bad day at work, unless you are prepared to head off for greener pastures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home